Maybe everything starting with “Twi” is just doomed to be undeservedly overhyped?

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 -- 10:37 pm
Mood: 13 Tired

Dear angry teens:

If you would like me to post your anti-Twilight rants in the front page article section -- which I'd be more than happy to do simply for the uproar and fangirly angst that it would stir -- please try to make a half-decent submission that doesn't break every spelling and grammar rule in existence. (Despite what you may think, netspeak is not an acceptable form of English.) Also preferably a submission that is more than two sentences long. (Extra exclamation points do not count towards your word count.) I am always up for spreading more LULz at the expense of Stephanie Meyer and the Twilight series, but I can't do so when you don't put in any effort!

On the related note of Twilight fuckwittage: If Twilight Were 10 Times Shorter and 100 Times More Honest

So I've been badgered into taking a trip on the Twitter bandwagon. I made a deal that I'd use it for a week and I'm on my fifth day and am still not quite sure what the whole point of Twitter is. I'm trying, I really am. *Squints* Wait, is that... Nope. Sorry. Don't see it.

I don't understand why people are flocking towards this awkward and somewhat useless middle ground between blogging and Facebooky social networking. I particularly dislike the part of this week-long deal where I'm being forced in turn to follow every Tom, Dick, and Sally that randomly decides to follow me. I don't understand. I don't know these people. I don't care what they're thinking, doing, or saying through out the day. Why are strangers following my Twitter feed in the first place? D:

The only Twitterism that I've grown fond of is the handy ability to immediately update my Facebook status straight from the Twitter app on my desktop. That's cool. I also like the idea of being able to include a widget on the side of my blog that shows my recent updates. Basically I like and will probably continue using anything involving it that directly relates to updating or displaying my Facebook status, which essentially is all Twitter really is. Starting Friday though, I'm cleaning out my spammed-to-hell Twitter friend list.

I didn't get to play any Guild Wars tonight, which I'm very sad about. :c I really need to buy a cheap computer headset. Playing in a party that I can't talk outloud to directly is really hard; I don't know where people are, or what they're doing, or what I'm supposed to be doing! There's not exactly a lot of time to spare to type out game plans while you're being mauled by a fucking gang bang of vicious skale monsters, you know?

Lance says:
March 17th, 2009 -- 10:58 pm

I can see the appeal of twitter, and some of the people I follow are either hilarious, or really interesting. Try following Gary Busey and Nick Nolte. Laughs are guaranteed.

Also, the point of twitter is pretty much the point of this blog; to write down whatever you feel like. It just so happens one is infinitely easier than the other.

Brenna says:
March 17th, 2009 -- 11:04 pm

See I think that's one of the things that annoys me about Twitter though -- people are using it as this half-assed blogging tool but can't actually get any full thoughts or ideas down because you're limited to this minuscule little 144 character limit. If I want to write about what I've done or what I'm doing, I guess I'd rather just go all out instead of restrict myself.

I don't think I'd ever take the time to really search out a stranger of actual interest on Twitter to follow. I'm sure good ones are out there, but I have yet to come across them. And man, those 144 max thoughts better be damn awesome.

Lance says:
March 17th, 2009 -- 11:17 pm

Gary Busey and Nick Nolte aren't random strangers, they were big actors in the 80's and 90's. Busey's a little insane now. Not sure what Nolte's up to lately, but his tweets are debaucherous gold.

And something to keep in mind is that some people is that not everyone out there wants to put down a thousand words every so often just because. People are busy, and Twitter offers a simple distraction from every day life. It's kind of like saying Smarties are BS because you can buy chocolate by the pound.

Lance says:
March 17th, 2009 -- 11:21 pm

Also, Twi'leks are the darling of the Star Wars.

Brenna says:
March 18th, 2009 -- 9:33 am

I... what? Twi'leks? What are twi'leks? Is this related to the Smarties analogy? o_O

Lance says: